Monday, October 29, 2007

The chimichanga debate

I have managed to write quite a few blogs without mentioning food, but now the time has finally come. When it comes to great Mexican food, Tucson has everything one could wish for: authentic Mexican, Tex-Mex, Arizona-Sonoran, national Mexican food chains and basically everything in-between. But what makes Tucson even more special is one menu choice in particular: the chimichanga.

Tucson likes to claim this delicious fried-burrito sensation originated within her lovely desert valley. In fact, as I did some quick research, I found debates about various myths explaining how it came about.

Wikipedia, for example, states in the first sentence of the chimichaga entry that it hails from the Old Pueblo; but the final sentence of the entry mentions a Phoenix restaurant owner may have come up with the dish.

The most common story I found, after looking at several sources, was that a burrito was accidentally dropped into a deep-fryer at El Charro Cafe (an historic Tucson restaurant dating back to 1922) by founder Monica Flin. As she was about to say a curse-word in Spanish she quickly changed her utterance to "chimichanga" (translates roughly to "thingamajig") to gaurd the ears of little ones in the kitchen with her.

Other sources seem a bit more realistic (in my opinion anyhow) about the debate, and say although the chimichanga gained it's popularity in Tucson restaurants, it was most likely being cooked before the 1920's along the border in Sonora, Mexico, where wheat and beef are harvested (info from findarticles.com.)
Whether or not Tucson is truly the origin of the chimichanga, I think we can all agree that finding a tasty fried-burrito in the beautiful Old Pueblo is pretty easy. But if you want to enjoy the meal at it's possible birthplace - El Charro Cafe - you will be in for a savory treat!
There is also the option of making your own, which I have not yet ventured to do. However, I am a proponent of the Food Network Web site, and they have a few different recipes for a delicious chimichanga. My favorite chef happens to be Emeril Lagasse, so try his version of a pork chimi, and let me know what you think!!
And if you think you've heard enough about chimichangas, think again. I found a 2006 story from a Sacramento news station about a woman who claims to have seen the face of Jesus Christ on her chimichanga. Please read the article and watch the video...am I allowed to say it's hilarious? Well, since it's my blog, I will.
Happy chimichanga eating!!

No comments: